Tuesday 28 April 2009

Out with the girls on a roadtrip (if I still may after reading this story)

How is it you can meet equals/soulmates through the internet...I don't mean in a romantic kind of way, but more in a girly kind...
I guess it must be the stories we read from all across the world ; it's hilarious to read and see that funny and creepy stuff happens to all of us. Odd people do live everywhere and maybe these people are the aliens or invaders we are expecting for so long to land on our planet.
They've just been here all the time and have mingled and managed to live among us without us even knowing it.
When I read the things happening to Girl Interrupted, it's almost like déjâ-vue...the stories Vic is letting us in to are recognisable in many ways. Diane and I are the more demure ones in our writing ; as if the things that happen to us, almost seem unbelievable to be true.
I am a bit paranoïc too and in this sense that many people here in Antwerp, have come to known my blog and I have this little voice inside me that is saying : suppose one day this creepy person reads about him/her and will stalk me like forever !!
Uh Oh !! Big time sh*t !
Yesterday I booked my holiday (together with hubby, no kids !! yes we are romantics ...) and first thing I saw was that the first hotel on Capri has internet facilities in the hotel lobby !!
Me so happy !
I so want to share stories with you guys when I'm abroad ! Suppose we see some interesting jet-setters like Sophia Loren ...don't want you to miss out on anything !
Even the trip to Capri itself will be hilarious as I am air- as boatsick all together in one ...no stylish Dominica when she's flying or hanging over a boat supplying fishfood !

I'll let you guys in on my little story 3 years ago when Steph and I went on our honeymoon !

August, 19th 2006...
Middle of the night, I'm waking up in my wedding dress and realise I still have to pack my suitcase for Greece, Rhodes.
I informed Stephan and my brother in law what time we should get up and when Patrick should pick us up to bring us to the airport.
Because I begin to realise I'll be flying pretty soon, I start to cry whilst packing my clothes.
I hate flying, it's the only time I cry just before going on holiday and when I think about the National Geographic program I saw 2 days before my wedding (Investigating Air Crashes) 
I sob even more and harder.
3AM, doorbell and brother in law ready to leave....chit chat in car, bla bla, me becoming VERY nervous and giggling without knowing why...(at this point Stephan is probably wondering what he ever saw in me)...Half an hour drive, saying our goodbyes and enter airport.
We're not even in there for 2 minutes as I here my just new husband say in a firm and irritated voice : don't say this is true !!?!!

"Domi", as he looks at me in a severe kind of way, "we are WAY to early...where did you see our plane supposed to be leaving at 5AM ??"
OMG, I must have misread the hours ! Me a bit ashamed and thinking, he's considering divorce even as we speak...
Then an even more severe face pops up ; "now I can't smoke for the next 5 hours !!"
This is a big issue ; I'm not a smoker or drinker (I'm very boring in fact) and the only thing we can do right now, is to wait at a little bar that's open at this early morning hour, sleep a bit with my head on a table and see Stephan pop out of the airport for his cigarette...
...
A couple of hours later we are informed check-in is possible and because hubby chose a bit of a luxury kind of travelling, we can sit and enjoy the lounge...
Unlucky me ; the lounge is filled with snacks and drinks (but I don't eat before I have to go on a plane as I know it all will come out anyway in the end) and I'm just sitting there, bored and hoping someone will leave a seat open at one of the internet- facilities in the same room.
...
On the plane, my luck again, I'm sitting in the middle chair - don't dare to get into a discussion after the mistake I made at 3AM, in getting the seat Stephan is in. The other person at my right side, is...well...big boned. I ask for 1/2 of a sleeping pill and after 30 minutes, I feel it's still not putting me into a coma. Ok, just give me that other half then....
...
Almost 4 hours later, I'm awakaned by the touchdown of the airplane's weels on Greek soil.
My head bounces and I'm like : WTF ?
Are we there already ?
Now, don't ask me how I got off this plane - how I got through security and how I got into our taxi...
The one hour drive gives me flashbacks of Stephan pushing me in a annoying and rough way to my side of the backseat.
...
Hotel lobby : a sickening feeling is searching it's way into my body...I hear a voice saying to someone "she's airsick, we'll do a tour of the hotel some other time"....
Luckily transport is nearby as I feel myself moving in something on wheels that looks like a golfcart. I've always found those silly-looking and OMG, I'm way to young to be travelling like this ! But I'm to sick to complain...
The bungalow is beautiful, in the corner of my eye, I see a tub filled with rose-petals and candle lights...same thing on the kingsize canopy bed (just the petals) and a lovely living room with a view on a private pool !
HERE WE GO....Mrs Puke is now officially my middle name...
I must have been on the couch for 3 hours, sleeping, with my newly wed husband, craving to get a tour of the hotel and enjoy any advantage a newly-wed couple can enjoy !
Not for us !!
...
I think this was a good way for me to find out how much I am loved by this man : you don't want me as a travel compagnion !!
So, isn't he just the bravest ? Knowing he has to be on a plane with me to Italy and then still has to endure my presence on a boat for another hour ?
I'll fill you guys in when it's August....


5 comments:

mich said...

You woke up IN your wedding dress? How exactly does that happen?
I'm cracking up at the sight of you sobbing in your dress, awwwww.
I used to dread flying too, then one day I decided to stop living in fear; it was as simple as that. Besides, if we don't toughen up, we'll never get invited to that road trip with Girl I. & Vic.

Ale said...

I feel bad for you, but this story is way too funny. He really loves you and he won his angels wings to go to heaven already! hahaha

Girl Interrupted said...

lol Awww! Don't worry Mrs Puke ... I'm coming with you this time, remember ... I'll try my best to entertain and distract you, maybe juggling satsumas whilst riding a unicycle and singing the Danish anthem in Swahili.

Or I could just hold your hair back while you puke, like any true friend would :P

And thanks for the mention :) xxx

diane said...

Ugggh, that comment from Mich was you know who. (I didn't want you to think cute hubby thought he was going on some kind of a road trip with the girls)

Girl Interrupted said...

lol @ Diane!! :P

This road trip is gonna rock!